Cherrywood's requirements for owners include:
- a large, safely enclosed yard where you and your Leo will be
able to spend time together outdoors. A Leo needs room to
run straight out, in order for his body and mind to mature
correctly. This breed needs space, and won't do well in a tiny
yard. A daily walk isn't enough for a Leo. A 4-6' secure fence,
is a necessity. I owned a Leo who easily scaled a 5' fence. They
will wander if allowed and some are escape artists.
- enrollment in a behavior/obedience group class with a qualified
instructor within 2 months of purchase, continuing
intermittently with classes until the dog is a year and a half
old. You need to learn to control a 100 lb., 7 mo. old puppy
with distractions around you! Private lessons won't do that.
- coming to Ohio to pick up your pup. If you're flying, you'll need
to check with your airline to be sure the pup may ride home in
the cabin with you. I will not ship pups partially because we
want to meet the people who will be getting our puppies.
- consistent socialization off of your property for the first year
or so. Leonbergers have watchdog instincts, and you want your
adult to understand what is "normal" in his world. That requires
introducing him to many new and unique situations as a puppy.
Your Leo needs to meet other dog breeds, new people and
constantly changing situations before he is 20 weeks old, in
order to mature into a steady adult.
- registering your puppy with the AKC, even if you never plan to
show or breed him. It helps us keep track of where the
population of the breed is in the US. You are also encouraged
to become a member of the Parent Club of the breed in the
US, the Leonberger Club of America. It is a great community of
- neutering your Leonberger after the growth plates close,
unless we both agree at that point that he/she may be bred.
All Leos going to companion homes are sold on limited
registration which means they cannot be bred nor shown in
conformation but can be shown in AKC performance events
like agility, obedience etc..
- breeding only according to AKC rules. I will be happy to help
and mentor any of our buyers who are seriously and
conscientiously interested in learning to show or breed.